Thursday, October 2, 2008

More Guitar Building

So building this bass has gotten me back in the guitar building mode. I am currently refinishing and modifying the two guitars I built in high school. One is an original design with single coils and the other is a PRS copy with EMG 81/85 pickups. With the guitar with single coils, I free hand routed the cavities when I built it, so needless to say they are ugly. Well, I decided I wanted to use pickup rings. Turns out the only ones for single coils are really expensive (like 10 bucks a piece, and with a three pickup guitar...). So I have some leftover walnut from my bass and I fashioned some rings out of that. I drew the dimensions in a CAD program and I am quite pleased. I will put some pictures up after I have finish on them.

Another thing I am going to do with that guitar is put a sustainer system in it. It is the same system that is perpetually under development at the project guitar forum. It should be a lot of fun and will give me more options (since I have four electric guitars anyway, may as well make one that is not the best into something unique). I am excited and it will help my electronics skills get better. Speaking of which, I have a nice new xytronics 379 soldering station coming today. I'll let you know what I think of it when it comes.

I really enjoy this whole guitar building thing, too bad I don't have my own shop yet. But that is okay, someday I will. The next project on my list after the guitars is to build a tube amplifier. I will be buying a kit, but that is just because it is cheaper than buying the parts separately. I still have to put it all together and tweak it myself an all. Should be a lot of fun. Of course, that may be several months away.

I guess all I can really say is stay tuned for more woodworking and musical project adventures to come.

No comments: